There is some good worth writing for!

After the last month of negativity toward others and then praise and helping of each other and back again I decided on Tuesday to write a letter to a woman that had been years in the making. I'm not really sure what took me so long to thank her, because I would not be where I am today had it not been for the Holy Spirit speaking through her. 

On her blog Esther Burroughs describes herself as follows: "Esther has a holy calling as she travels, encouraging woman and families of all ages with God’s Word and lessons on life’s journey.

Her passion is calling women to an intimate walk as His beloved child. Out of the overflow of God’s love in her heart, the Word of God in her life, and the Spirit’s power, she is compelled to leave a legacy of faithfulness in His family, His community, and His world."

Here is my letter to Esther...

Dear Esther,

This email has been a LLLOOONNNGGG time coming! In the fall of 1996 I attended a Baptist (College) Student Conference at Hyde Park in Waco Texas. During that "talk", I refer to it as a talk because as you well know woman were frowned upon to preach! However, Esther you were bringing the word and that word cut through my heart. I'm so glad you had the perseverance to fight and last through all that gender bias! 

On that day I remember that you were talking about God's calling on our lives, I was in the second year of college, but my grades my first year of college were so bad that I was basically retaking all my classes.  I was like a ship without a rudder not knowing what I was called to do. During that message you talked of how some of us were called to be police officers, teachers, pastors and even youth pastors etc.. All I heard as you went through that list was "PASTOR". As you continued to talk I relived my childhood and teenage years and how I had younger people always hanging around me and the influence I had on them. I quickly realized that God had a plan for me,  a plan for me to make an impact as a pastor. 

Twenty one years ago on the first weekend of October I surrendered my life to be a pastor and it has one heck of a ride since then. I have served as a student pastor in 5 different churches in Texas, Maryland and Ohio. I am now an associate pastor at an awesome church in Springboro, OH and loving every minute of it.

This email has been way to long in the making however I wanted to say thanks after al these years for the impact your message had on my life. I'll never forget that lady that spoke truth that day. I'm forever grateful! 

Esther responded today and said she appreciated the email and how it brightened her day. She also stated that she was 80 years old and still speaking! I can only hope to strive for that! So, how about you? Who has made a huge impact on your life? Take a moment and let them know today. Let's fill up posts, facebook and email boxes with some positive, faith building vibes instead of all this negativity!

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.

Search