What to Eat?




As of this morning I now weigh 193 pounds, that is a loss of 34 lbs.. I have had my follow up physical and my cholesterol has plummeted but not yet out of the danger zone so I have reluctantly started tricor. My hope is to continue to eat right and exercise to get it down even lower.
As of late I have found people saying, "You look great!" followed with, "How are you doing it?
Well, here is the answer! For the last three years I have hit the gym above on a consistent basis but I was just maintaining weight. I really did not start seeing results until my lifestyle change (read not a diet) in January of this year (see previous post).  That change can be summed up as follows: "You can't lose weight without exercise. But I've got a philosophy about exercise. I don't think you should punish your body for something your mouth did. Drag your lips around the block once or twice." Gwen Owen
I can some up my diet in two words, "NOTHING WHITE!White foods should be avoided completely under the premise that most of these foods contain simple carbohydrates, which increase insulin production and trigger cravings for more carbohydrates. Foods to steer clear of on this diet include white rice, white flour, sugar, and potatoes, salt and milk, although some versions of the diet do allow for the inclusion of skim milk.
Anything made from white flour must also be strictly eliminated such as bread, cakes, pastries, pasta and noodles. Some proponents of the diet also advise dieters to avoid fruit juice and artificial sweeteners because these foods can cause sugar cravings. My inventory of food over the last few months using my trusty Lose It App looks like the following:
Proteins: Raw Almonds, Raw Walnuts, Beans (black and pinto), eggs,
Veggies: (all veggies) I prefer: avocado, broccoli,  carrots, celery, lot's of salads, spaghetti squash instead or spaghetti pasta, 
Snacks: Kettle Chips: Almond Butter Crunchy and peanut butter, Clif Bars (all kinds), Plain Greek yogurt (you can add herbs for a dip and fruit for a dessert), honey if I need sweetener, dark chocolate (70% cocoa, but only occasionally), powercrunch protein bars (you want to look for bars that have more protein than carbs), whey protein shakes. 
Fruit: (basically any kind of fruit) Oranges, bananas, cherries, variety of melons 
Complex Carbohydrates: oat bread, whole wheat NOT enriched (about to switch to Ezekiel bread), Bare Naked Vanilla Almond Crunch Cereal, steel cut oatmeal,
Drinks: Almond Breeze Milk (Vanilla Flavor unsweetened), I try to limit soda but have diet when I do, I drink mostly water and use true lemon and lime (I don't like plain water) or Crystal light flavor packets. I have read that using artificial sweeteners can cause you to crave sweets, but just read in Men's magazine that the research for that is bad research and I seem to have done ok with it.
I also use olive oil instead of butters. I try to stay to the outside edges of your supermarket and the health food section and you should be fine! Eating out? I try to stay away from the white stuff, bread sugars etc... If it’s a burger joint I eat it without the bun.

I also take a day off a week and splurge a little, and occasionally have a beer, LITE that is!

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.

Search